Senior Software Engineer
Who we are
What started as a business to make finance and back-office better for recruitment agencies is now changing how businesses of all shapes and sizes access finance and support to manage their freelance workforce.
We’ve created an end-to-end work pay solution to power the new working world. One that lets businesses unlock the power of the contract, freelance and gig economy with none of the hard work or complications that come with old-school finance.
Backed by ambitious investors and developed by a team in London and Cardiff, we’ve funded in excess of £500m to a host of businesses, from recruitment startups to large-scale organisations who’ve grown tired of the traditional approach to finance from the banking world.
What’s it like to work here
Freedom and autonomy to do your best work are what makes Sonovate successful. There’s no micro-management - just teams working together to change how people are paid for the better. Think of us as a group of teams working collaboratively to share experiences and engineer the best solutions.
The growth we’ve achieved in such a short space of time attracts certain individuals. We’re understand we’re not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but our startup mindset defines who we are.
That said, just because we think like a startup doesn’t mean you’ll be running around doing a million and one things. We’re grown up with very realistic ambitions. Our market-leading products have redefined how people are paid. Building on this core success is where we are right now and we need specialists to join us and help take us to the next step.
We promise freedom to execute, an environment where you can exercise all your skills and talents and guarantee that you will be working alongside truly great talent.
Joining Sonovate will be transformational for your career, whatever stage you are at. Apply today and let’s begin a conversation about you.
What we guarantee
• Truly agile practices
• working with latest technologies and leading SaaS providers
• Modern ‘defurbished’ office space in the heart of city centre
• Very firmly in growth stage
• Startup DNA
• 28 days holiday + bank holidays
• Interest free season ticket loan
• Private medical insurance
• Ride to work
• Eyecare vouchers
• Childcare vouchers
• 50% discounted gym membership
• 2 days charity leave per year
• Breakfast, snacks and drinks
• Beer fridge
• Free takeaways
• And so much more...
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to be part of our Cardiff Office. You will join a team of folk who are talented, ambitious and forward thinking. You will play a huge part in Sonovates success story by helping to bring the best out of our Development Team, and work with our Product Owners and Operational Teams to deliver exceptional outcomes.
- Working within cross-skilled, agile delivery teams to help Sonovate to realise their vision of “Smarter Pay for the New Working World”
- Providing technical leadership, contributing to key technical decisions and discussions
- Considering functional and non-functional requirements in all architectural decisions
- Considering business and technical requirements when designing technical solutions
- Providing code contributions of a sufficiently high quality, following clean coding practices
- Mentoring and coaching junior team members
- Promoting and championing agile development principles
- Continuously improving best practices, standards, and processes to deliver high quality software solutions
- Encouraging and facilitating cross-team and cross-departmental collaboration
A Few Things About You
- In depth knowledge of the HTTP life cycle and an understanding of RESTful Web Services
- Extensive web development experience
- Exposure to a variety of Database technologies and Object Relational Mappers (ORMs). Postgres, SQL Server, RavenDB, Entity Framework and NHibernate would be advantageous.
- Experience of providing architectural input, developing and maintaining enterprise level B2B applications.
- A strong foundation in core software design and development concepts e.g. Object-Oriented vs Functional, S.O.L.I.D principles
- Knowledge of common software development and architectural patterns
- Understands all aspects of the software development life cycle
- The ability to bring teams and people together to achieve goals
- A “life long learner”, demonstrates a passion for gaining new skills, experience and knowledge
- A lateral thinker, displays an ability to think ahead and anticipate problems, issues and solution
- Strong problem solving skills
- Cool under pressure